Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Joy of Praying

Tonight is "Seek God: weekly Prayer" at my church. I have faithfully been attending for the last couple of months in the evening (they have one in the morning) and each time I go it is usually something different than what we did the previous week. I am truly amazed how God has been meeting us there in the midst and proving Himself to be faithful and true.

For me this experience has changed my whole perception on prayer in my life, how I pray, what I pray for and how it needs to be a constant act of communion with my Lord. Each week I never know what they are going to ask us to pray for and last week was no exception. Last week was probably the most powerful time I have experienced. Instead of inviting the leaders and prayer team to pray over people, they asked us (the prayers) to find someone who has come forward and pray for them. For someone like me, I find such joy in praying for people and anyone who knows me well enough to know that is true of me. There is just something about lifting up your bother or sister in the Lord before our God laying our request and petitions at His feet. So last week I had the opportunity to pray for an older woman, at first I was a little nervous because she said that she needed prayer over her shoulders because they were in pain. I thought to myself, "Lord how do I pray for a woman who desires healing throughout her body?" And I just knew that the Lord spoke to my heart saying, "Don't worry about how or why, just pray." Well, I am not sure if the lady was blessed after I prayed for her, although she smiled at me and gave me a hug thanking me, but for myself after I walked away praying for that woman, it blessed me in more ways than I could imagine.

You see God was teaching me that it isn't about being specific in the sense of making sure you get your point across to Him, He knows what you are desiring in your prayer, but for me it was the sense of being willing to say, "Lord I am not sure how to pray about this situation, but God would you meet me there." Well, God met me there because to be honest I can't even remember what I prayed for, I don't remember the lady being healed, but I do remember that the spirit met me in my prayer and that to me was all that mattered.

I get the sense that God desires for us to expect Him to move in our hearts. So many times we doubt that God hears us and desires to answers us, whatever the prayer may be, maybe it's for the family down the street who struggles to survive, maybe it's your co-worker who speaks hateful comments, but deep inside is so broken or maybe it's a family member that doesn't know Christ. It can be numerous of things that God desires for us to come to Him. I love how in Hebrews, it says that he desires us to come BOLDY before the throne. I dont know about you, but the word, "BOLDY" means something huge, it means don't be shy, don't be scared, but be willing to proclaim that God is asking you to come and so you come with your hands open, your heart open to what He wants to do.

Prayer has become such a huge part of my walk with God in the recent months. I have seen little things in my life be answered specifically in ways that I can't even begin to describe. Yet more importantly, I have seen the work it has done in my heart, I no longer come to God scared of what might happen, I come to God, knowing that He is going to move, whatever way He chooses to, I know He is.

Paul says, "Never cease to pray." Don't worry about using the right words or the right format, just be honest, real and open to the Lord. He desires for His children to come to Him BOLDY and expectantly knowing that He is going to move and when He moves wheather it is how you asked or how He wants, praise Him eithier way.

No comments: